Surullitos De Maiz (Cornmeal Sticks)
- 2 cups of cold water
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 Packs of sazon seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups of yellow cornmeal
- 2 cup of mild Cheddar cheese
- vegetable oil for frying
- Pour water, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sazon seasoning into a sauce pan bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add cornmeal slowly, stir to avoid creating lumps. Keep stirring, & continue cooking on low heat.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese & blend well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Put a tsp of the mixture in the palm of your hand. Place on flat surface, roll into long sticks.
- Place corn sticks on a tray, cover with wax paper & put in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in deep fryer, fry the corn sticks until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
Recommended cookbook: Puerto Rican Cookery