- 1 lb boned salted cod fish
- 4 white potatoes
- 1 large red Onion (peeled and sliced into rings)
- 3 hard boiled eggs (shelled cooled and sliced)
- 3 tomatoes ( cut in dices )
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Spanish olives
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic finely crushes
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 small jar of red pimientos
- Rinse codfish under cold running water and allow to soak over night.
- The next day drain & replace with clean water. Change the water twice to remove the excess salt from the fish.
- Boil the fish at low heat, simmer for about 1 hour until the fish is tender & flaky. Remove from heat, with a fork break the fish into bite size,set aside and allow to cool.
- Boil the potatoes (do not overcook) , cool & cut in large cubes.Rub mashed garlic in a large salad bowl, cover all sides.
- Place the fish in the salad bowl as the first layer. Add the other ingredients except for the olive oil, vinegar & hard boiled eggs.
- Make other layers with the codfish and all the ingredients until all is used up.
- Combine vinegar & olive and drizzle over the salad. Toss until all ingredients are well coated with the dressing.
- Add sliced boiled eggs, & garnish with red pimientos.
Recommended cookbook: Puerto Rican Cookery