- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded coconut, fresh or packaged
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch cream of tartar
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- a few drops almond extract
- In a small saucepan, scald milk. Place 2 cups coconut in a sieve. Pour hot milk over coconut while holding sieve over large bowl to catch liquid. Use the back of a spoon to squeeze all of the milk out of the coconut.
- In a large saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar, and cream of tartar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and add beaten egg yolk. Beat well with a spoon. Stir in remaining coconut and add 2 or 3 drops almond extract. Taste and add more extract if desired.
- Pour into 2 pie pans or pyrex dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer. 5. Remove coconut ice from freezer after 4 hours and break apart with a fork. Serve immediately.