- 3/4 cup grated ginger root
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 12 cups water
- 2 1/4 oz packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups sugar
- In a large bowl, combine and stir grated ginger root, lime juice, and cream of tartar.
- In a large pot, bring 12 cups water to a boil over high heat.
- Pour hot water over ginger mixture and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir to make a smooth paste.
- When ginger mixture is warm, add yeast mixture and stir well. Cover bowl and refrigerate from 3-5 days.
- Pour ginger mixture through a strainer with another large bowl underneath to catch the liquid. Add remaining sugar to ginger beer and stir well.