- 3 lbs. snapper or King fish sliced in 1/2 thick slices
- 2 or 3 limes
- 1 sliced scotch bonnet pepper
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil for frying
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1/2 tsp whole black pepper grains
- 4 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp of salt
- Wash fish thoroughly in water and lime juice and dry. Season the fish with salt and black pepper and set aside for at least 2 hrs.
- Heat oil in frying pan and fry fish on both sides until crisp.
- Set fish aside in a deep Pyrex dish or other bowl. In a saucepan combine vinegar, sliced onions, peppers, pimento seeds, whole black pepper grains, and bring to a boil
- Simmer until onions are tender.
- Pour over fish and leave marinating overnight.
Recommended Cookbook: Authentic Recipes from Jamaica