- 3 lbs fish fillets
- 2 sliced onions
- 3 chopped scallions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- fresh thyme
- 2 cups water
- scotch bonnet pepper to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp browning
- 1 tbsp lime/ lemon juice
- Clean and rinse fish well with hot water and lime juice. Pat dry and marinate with desired spices (ex. salt and pepper).
- Set aside and marinate for 3-4 hours. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the fish to the skillet and brown on both sides.. Remove the fish and carefully pour off the excess oil. Return the skillet to the stove top, reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook onions, garlic, tomatoes, scotch bonnet, and thyme. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the fish.
- Pour sauce over fish and cook until sauce is thickened.
Recommended Cookbook: Authentic Recipes from Jamaica