- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 3/4 cup Margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup Superfine sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Hot water
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Water
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 cup Dark rum
- 2 tbsp Slivered almonds
- 6 oz Semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325'F. Generously grease a 5-cup fluted or plain tube pan and dust lightly with flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder and Mixed Spice into a bowl. Add margarine, superfine sugar and eggs.
- Blend cocoa powder with hot water and add to flour mixture.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon 2 minutes or 1 minute if using an electric mixer. Turn mixture into prepared pan
- Bake in preheated oven 1-1/4 hours or until well risen and cake begins to shrink from edges of pan. Carefully turn out cake onto a wire rack and cool.
- Combine granulated sugar and 2/3 cup water in a saucepan.
- Add cinnamon and heat gently, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add rum and discard cinnamon.
- Place cake on a plate. Spoon syrup over cake and let stand 2 hours. Cover top of cake with almonds
- Melt chocolate; carefully spoon over cake, spreading to give a smooth even coating.
- Let stand several hours. Pipe (with a pastry bag) whipped cream around bottom of cake.