- 2 cups dried red beans, rinsed
- 3 scallions
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 shallots
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- Salt, black, and hot pepper to taste
- Combine scallions, parsley, shallots, and hot peppers to form a paste.
- Heat oil medium heat and add seasoning paste, beans, and scallions. Add water, ham hock, parsley, and cubed ham and bring to boiling.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Remove ham hock. Process beans and juice in an electric blender or force through a strainer.
- Return sauce to low heat and season to taste.