Rice Red Beans (Diri Et Pois Coles)
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 1 cup of red kidney beans
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 chopped hot green pepper
- 1/4 cup salt pork or bacon cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 2 chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the beans in 4 cups of water for 2 hours or until tender in a medium pot.
- Drain the beans but keep the water which will be used to cook the rice.
- Fry the salt pork or bacon until crisp (use oil if needed). Add the onion, garlic, and green pepper.
- Add the beans along with salt and pepper to taste. Add the water used to cook the beans and bring to a boil
- Add the rice and cook for 20-25 minutes.
Recommended cookbook: A Taste of Haiti