- 1 lb malanga
- 1 cup black eyed peas (not dried)
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper to taste
- 1 scallion
- 1 shallot or 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 green bell pepper
- 1 scotch pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups oil
- Grate the malanga to make 2 cups. In a blender, mix the black eyed peas, 1/2 cup water, salt, black pepper, scallion, shallot or onion, garlic, green bell pepper, and scotch bonnet pepper until it's the same consistency of the grated malanga.
- In a bowl, mix the malanga with the black eye pea mixture. Mix in the beaten egg. Mix the flour and baking powder until you get a nice consistency. . Heat the oil on high heat until very hot. Drop in a tablespoonful of the mixture in the hot oil.
- Do not turn to the other side until the fritter is very dark brown.
- Scoop out any extra mix that breaks away from the batter in the hot oil, so it does not clutter or burn the oil. Drain on a paper towel.
Recommended cookbook: A Taste of Haiti