- 8 oz tasajo (cured dry beef), cut into cubes and soaked overnight
- 8 oz pork stew meat cut into cubes
- 1 ear fresh corn
- 1 green plantain
- 8 oz cassava
- 8 oz malanga (a root similar to potato)
- 8 oz sweet yam
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 8 cups pork bone stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch cumin
- 8 oz pumpkin
- 1 yellow plantain
- Pinch white pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Drain and rinse the tasajo. Place into a large pot, cover with fresh water and cook until almost tender.
- Add the pork cubes and cook until both meats are completely tender. Drain the meat, reserving 8 cups of the cooking liquid.
- In a tall stockpot, add all the vegetables, except for the pumpkin and the yellow plantain, all the meat stocks, bay leaves and cumin.
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes and add the pumpkin and yellow plantain.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Allow it to rest for a few minutes. Add salt and white pepper to taste.
Recommended cookbook: Memories of a Cuban Kitchen