Calabaza Fritters (Frituras Calabaza)
- 1 1/2 pounds calabaza
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups self rising flour
- cooking oil
- Peel calabaza, cut into chunks and boil in a large pot of water until tender.
- Drain water and mash calabaza then drain again.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of mashed calabaza together with butter, egg and sugar.
- Sift flour with nutmeg and cinnamon and add to calabaza mixture.
- Mix well and drop spoonfuls into heated oil such as a deep fryer. Oil should be enough to cover fritters.
- Cook until both sides are lightly browned and serve hot. Makes 12 Fritters.
Recommended cookbook: Memories of a Cuban Kitchen