Beef Turnovers (Empanadas)
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp. Sofrito
- 1 packet Sazón with Coriander and Annatto
- 1/4 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic or 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 6 large Stuffed Olives, diced
- 1 package Discos (frozen turnover dough) Yellow or White
- Oil for frying
- In a skillet, heat oil on medium. Stir in beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except discos and frying oil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Roll discos out to about 1/2 -inch larger in diameter.
- Spoon about 1 tbsp. meat mixture into middle, fold over; moisten edges and seal with a fork.
- Heat 2- 1/2 inches of oil in a deep saucepan or deep fryer on medium.
- Cook empanadas in batches, turning to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.